Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A heapin' helping of humble pie

Two days in and we've already got a gut check.

Let me explain. So, I decided to do this blog for a couple of reasons. 1. To have a place to share my thoughts and experiences from being a young dad of two. 2. To hopefully create community among emerging fathers/parents committed to raising kids who passionately love God and prove it by loving all of His children in spite of the consequences to the American dream 3. To promote dialogue about the crisis of fatherlessness that I see in the world, and spiritual fatherless in the American church.

But going into this, I've had several important people in my life encourage me to tread lightly into the blogosphere.

And now, more than ever, I realize that's really really good advice. The whole daddy blog world is pretty crowded already, and is not really lacking for the voice of a know-it-all 28 year old schmo, who's been in the game for 2 years and is raising two ridiculously easy kids.

Also, while I am very passionate about healing the wounds of fatherlessness; I did not grow up without of father. In fact, I come from a stellar home with an amazing father who certainly wasn't perfect, but who continually modeled deep love and humble submission to his Heavenly Father, in spite of growing up with a dad who gave him his fair share of wounds along the way. My dad's steadfast faith, humble leadership, and continued friendship, along with the grace of God, are what has brought me to where I am today.

So all of that is to say, several healthy doses of humility would probably serve me well in this whole conversation.

Which brings us to yesterday. My wife, who is a much better writer and blogger than I will ever be, came home today with some thoughts about my post. While I may have been intending to come across as light and humorous, whilst offering thoughtful critique to a polarizing topic in current events, she informed me that to her I came across as snarky, arrogant, and close to downright mean.

She lovingly reminded me that these were people that loved God (and that God loves!), and were just trying to heed the words of the early church who continually urged their followers to:

"Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man." Luke 21:36

My first thought was, "Yeah right, she's just being overly critical". But going back and reading what I wrote, I had admit with horror that she was right! In my haste to quickly write something, and be funny or something, I didn't think through it, and certainly didn't pray through it.

To add insult to injury, as I was writing this, I was looking in 2 Peter for some verses on watchfulness and I came across this in chapter 3:

3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised?

Ouch. Message received God.

So to whomever read what I wrote yesterday, I'm sorry. And I promise to do better. I realized yesterday that one day, I want my son to be able to read this blog and get a picture of what my heart was. For him, and for the world. And the more I think about, satire is not my heart. I would never encourage my son or anyone that I love to stand on the sidelines and laugh, I'd counsel them to enter into to people's pain rather than make light of it.

And As much as I'd love to go back and delete the whole thing, or at least edit it to not sound like such a jerk... I think I'll leave it. Something tells me this won't be the last time I say something stupid, so I'll probably need the reminder to stay humble down the road.

As I was reading my bible yesterday, God sent me one more parting shot from Peter, and I think it could be an emerging theme in this journey going forward:

In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders.
All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,

“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand,
that he may lift you up in due time.
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:5-7

Stay classy San Diego. Thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment